Have you checked your sump pump lately?
With the recent heavy rain and the forecast of more to come, when is the last time you checked your sump pump? Now would be a good time to check.
Below are some simple steps for you to take…
- Make sure the area is free of any debris
- Ensure that the float is able to move freely and is unobstructed
- Look for visual signs of cracks or wear and tear on any seals
- Make sure the surrounding area is mold free
- Is the motor working?
- Have you verified that excess water is actually discharged outside your home?
- Make sure your back-up sump pump is also working (when is the last time you changed the battery?)
Another thing to consider is having an alarm system installed for your sump pump. Innovation and technology can be a wonderful thing and the good news for home owners is that you can have alarm systems installed which can send you a text message if and when your sump pump fails or if you prefer, it can be integrated into your existing alarm system. There are many options available.
If your home has a sump pump and you are not sure if it’s in good working order, contact a professional plumber. Maintaining a dry basement is a key component to avoid mold.