Top 5 Most Common Mold Questions

August 2, 2013 By In Moisture Control Comments Off

With the rainy weather this summer and the numerous flooded basements most mold, water proofing and restoration companies have been “flooded” with calls.  And after numerous conversations with people it turns out there are quite a few common questions/concerns that people have. The top 5 questions for July 2013 are;

Q. My basement flooded but it’s dry now.  Is there a risk that I have mold?

A. Yes, it is possible you have mold.  Mold takes 24-48 hours to grow, given the right conditions – increased humidity/moisture, limited/poor ventilation, food source (which is most anything you can think of – drywall, carpets, wood etc….).

Q. Isn’t it true that all homes have mold?

A. Yes.  Mold is everywhere and is in the air we breathe.  The issue is when there are high concentrations of mold spores, particularly inside your home and/or office. In a normal, healthy environment, the concentration of mold spores inside should be similar or preferably lower than outside.  When a home becomes the breeding ground for mold, mold becomes a symptom and sometimes the cause of a larger problem.

Q. If my walls/flooring are now dry, do I still need to be concerned?

A. It depends. If the extent of the water damage was small, and the conditions for increased mold growth have been dealt with quickly (ie. no longer a flood in the basement), and there are no signs of mold (ie. visible mold or smells of mold), then you theoretically shouldn’t have a problem.  However, if you start seeing signs of mold at a later date you should contact a reputable company to perform a mold and moisture inspection.

Q. I still have my dehumidifier running and there is a lot of water still being captured?  Do I have a problem?

A. Yes. If your dehumidifier is still capturing large amounts of water, it is important to understand where the moisture is coming from and address the root cause problem as well as the inevitable mold problem.  You should contact a reputable company to perform a mold and moisture inspection to help you identify the scope and extent of the problem.

Q. If mold is everywhere, why do I need to have it professional removed or remediated? Is it always toxic?

A. It is important to remember that in low or “normal” concentrations, the majority of mold species are not considered to be toxic.  In addition to this, the majority of the population is not sensitive to “normal” levels of mold.  In most cases, only those people with compromised immune systems or other respiratory ailments are more likely to be affected by mold.   Aside from the unpleasant smell and look of mold, it is usually a symptom of a bigger problem.

A “safe and healthy” home should not create conditions for mold to flourish and should not have high concentrations of mold throughout the home.  High concentrations of mold can be hazardous to your health, your home and its’ contents.  High humidity, moisture and poor ventilation problems are not only a breeding ground for mold but can be major contributing factors to a wide array of issues for home owners.  If left unchecked and not dealt with properly, what was once a relatively small problem could grow into a much more expensive one.

Comments are closed.